Tuesday, December 16, 2008

So, here we are. My blog dedicated to my adventures in the art world. This first post is dedicated to a recent course I took with concept art extraordinaire Phillip Straub. A great course that taught me quite a bit. Here's a look back at what I did in the course:

Week 1

This week was an introduction to a few composition types (circular, iconic, and rule of thirds). A rough start indeed, but a real eye-opener as to what tools were available for future compositions.





























































Week 2

More composition styles (cross, L, and triangle).
































































































Week 3

This week the compositions styles were completely up to us. However, the stories being told had to take place in environments that were reflective of gothic architecture.







































Week 4

This week dealt with creating organic environments. Interesting, and definitely more akin to what I'm usually more comfortable doing.














































Week 5

Our first week in color. A challenging week indeed. But definitely one that has me excited to learn the ways of using color effectively.













Week 6

This week focused on depicting an environment where the use of atmospheric perspective was obvious.











































Weeks 7 and 8

The last two weeks were dedicated to one piece. I feel like this one turned out fairly well, but I imagine I'll put some more work into it later on.













Overall, I don't think I could have asked for more out of this class. It definitely exceeded my expectations for online learning. And I can't wait to further my abilities in the ways of art. Thanks for viewing! Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Hey David, nice job on setting up the blogspot, some really nice pieces in here, love the spider one :) Cant wait to see your work progress through uni dude.

    ReplyDelete